This Cheeseburger Pie recipe is considered to be one of the easiest savory meat pies you can easily make at home. It only takes 15-20 minutes prep time and 25 minutes cooking time to make this mouthwatering pie that everyone will surely enjoy. Unlike most pies that you have to roll a crust until your arms hurt, with this recipe, you just have to mix all the ingredients in a pie pan and let your oven do the work. Then, just like that, you have a wholesome flavorful pie that tastes just like your favorite cheeseburger.
It serves up to 4-5 people, combining favorite flavors like beef burger and cheese, minus the carbs of the bread, into one delicious casserole. This recipe is ideal for those who are on keto diet or just about anyone who is craving burgers but is conscious of carbs. With this recipe, you can enjoy the glorious flavors of a beef burger without going astray on your weight loss journey.
- 1 lb. lean ground beef (or any other meat that you prefer)
- 1 cup of shredded cheese (any variant of cheese will do)
- 2 eggs
- ½ cup of Original Bisquick mix
- 1 cup of milk (any variant of milk will do)
- Worcester sauce
- 1 large onion (chopped)
- ½ teaspoon of seasoned salt
- ½ teaspoon of garlic powder
1 – Turn on the oven and preheat to 400°F.
2 – Prepare a 9-inch pie plate and coat it entirely with a non-stick cooking spray. Set aside.
3 – In a skillet, cook beef and chopped onion over medium heat for about 10 minutes or until the beef is brown. Make sure to stir occasionally while cooking to avoid the meat sticking to the skillet.
4 – Once beef is cooked, drain excess fat and oil using a strainer.
5 – Add salt, garlic powder, and a dash of worcester sauce on the cooked beef and stir until fully mixed.
6 – Transfer the meat mixture into the pie plate and spread evenly. Make sure to layer the meat mixture evenly on the pie pan to avoid uneven bumps.
7 – Sprinkle the shredded cheese on top of the beef. Put as much cheese as you like.
8 – In a small bowl, mix together the 1 cup of milk, 2 eggs, and ½ cup of Original Bisquick mix using a wire whisk until completely whisked and blended. Make sure to eliminate lumps out of the mixture as much as you can. You can also use a fork to whisk the batter mixture if a wire whisk is not accessible.
9 – Once the batter mixture is completely lump-free, pour the batter mixture evenly over the meat mixture on the pie pan.
10 – Put the pie pan in the oven and bake for approximately 25 minutes until golden brown. To make sure the pie is fully cooked, insert a knife or a toothpick in the center of the pie and if it comes out clean, it’s good to go. Otherwise, put it back in the oven and bake it for a few more minutes and repeat the test with the knife or toothpick until it comes out completely clean.
11 – Garnish your cheeseburger pie with your favorite toppings. (optional)
12 – Let it cool for about 10 minutes before cutting the pie into slices to serve. Enjoy!
What’s amazing about this Cheeseburger Pie recipe is that you can make some adjustments and experiment with it as much as you like. You can swap the meat, incorporate your favorite veggies, add more proteins, or make it even cheesier to meet your preferred taste. See cooking tips and recipe modifications below.
– If you prefer a different meat, simply swap the ground beef with an equal amount of ground turkey, chicken, or pork, depending on your preference.
– A perfect alternative to regular cow milk is almond milk, which has lesser calories compared to any other variety of milk available on the market.
– While using cheddar cheese is advisable for this recipe, any kind of cheese that you would like to use will work as well, including mozzarella, swiss, and more.
– For a hint of more flavor, you can also add your favorite herbs and spices as you mix your batter mixture in steps 8-9. You can add some chili powder, paprika, nutmeg, or any other seasonings you prefer.
– You can add vegetables to your pie such as mushrooms, sweet peppers, green chilis, or any veggies you like. If you opt to add vegetables, cook it along with the beef as you do the step 3.
– This recipe has less carbs than traditional crust pies and cheeseburger. But if you’re looking to make it absolutely 0 carbs, you can skip the steps 8-9 (batter mixture) altogether and put the pie right into the oven after adding the cheese over the meat mixture.
Expert cooking tips:
– If you’re serving more people, simply double the ingredients and bake the pie 9 x 13 in. casserole or any other bigger pie pan accessible on your kitchen.
– This recipe works best if you opt for a 90% lean ground beef – it has great flavor and isn’t too greasy. You wouldn’t want excess fat on your cheeseburger pie. Meat with a higher fat content will work well too, just make sure to drain off any excess grease before transferring the meat into the pie pan.
– The sky’s the limit in making a cheeseburger pie even better. Have fun with toppings and sprinkle it with anything you like: crumbled bacon, sliced avocado, fried onions and mushrooms, California-style shredded lettuce and tomato, dill pickle chips, or pickled red onions for a more delicious and healthier cheeseburger pie.
– You can top it with just about anything you like to tailor it to your personal tastes and preference, as well as your diet.
– To make the prep time even faster, you can complete the steps 1-6 a few hours in advance or the night before. Make sure to cover the pie plate before putting it inside the refrigerator to chill.
– Refrigerate any leftovers, if any. You can simply reheat it in the microwave to serve it again. Leftover cheeseburger pies can last good for a long time as long as it is refrigerated.