- 1 1/4 pounds potatoes, any variety, peeled and cut into chunks
- 3 large cloves garlic, minced
- 3/4 cup sour cream
- 2/3 cup cheddar cheese, divided (1/3, 1/3)
- 1 pound lean ground beef or ground turkey
- 1 (12 oz) package frozen peas and carrots
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 cup broth, vegetable or beef
- 1 tablespoon Italian seasonings
- 2 tablespoons ketchup
- 1/2 cup half-and-half (more if needed)
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, cut into single tablespoons
- Boil water in a large saucepan. Place potatoes in water and boil 20 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Brown ground meat in large skillet, drain. Return meat to pan and add frozen vegetables, Worcestershire sauce, broth, Italian seasonings, minced garlic, and ketchup. Stir to incorporate and cook for 5-7 minutes.
- Drain potatoes and return to pot. Mash in sour cream, butter, and half-and half, 1 teaspoon salt and 1/2 teaspoon pepper (more or less, to taste), whipping until smooth.
- Mix 1/3 cup cheese into potatoes.
- Pour meat mixture into greased 9×13-inch baking dish. Spoon and spread potatoes on top of meat layer.
- Bake 25 minutes. Pour rest of cheese on top and bake another 5 minutes, or until cheese begins to brown.