- 8 ounces (250 g) bacon, cut into strips
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 26 ounces (750 g) brown mushrooms, washed (pat dry with paper towel)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/4 cup dry white wine (or chicken broth/stock)
- 6 cloves garlic finely chopped
- 1 1/2 cups (400 ml) heavy cream, (thickened cream or evaporated milk)
- 1 tablespoon fresh chopped parsley
- 1 teaspoon fresh chopped thyme
- Salt and pepper to season
- 1/2 cup fresh shredded or grated mozzarella
- 1/4 cup fresh shredded or grated parmesan cheese
Cook the bacon until crispy in a large oven-safe skillet over medium heat. Transfer to a paper towel lined plate using a slotted spoon to absorb some of the oil. Remove from the equation.
Melt the butter in the same pan. Add the mushrooms, sprinkle with oil, and toss to combine, scraping off any browned bits from the pan’s bottom. Lightly brown the mushrooms and liberate their juices by frying them for 2-3 minutes (if any).
Pour in the wine (or broth) and cook for 2 minutes, stirring regularly. (Preheat the oven grill or broiler.)
Stir in the garlic for a minute, or until it is aromatic. Combine the cream and herbs in a mixing bowl. Reduce the heat to a low setting. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the vegetables are soft (approximately 4-5 minutes) and the sauce has thickened significantly. Salt & pepper to taste.
Return the bacon to the pan and give everything a good stir to blend the flavors. Place the mozzarella and parmesan cheese on top of the mushrooms.
Broil until the cheese is melted and bubbling, and the mushrooms are cooked to your preference (about 3-5 minutes)
Warm the dish before serving.